We need as much help as possible to run another great Flower Show over the weekend. This is a flagship event and really lets us tell thousands of people what we are doing. The more volunteers we have, the greater the impact, the smoother the running – and the less work for everyone! Full details of the Show. Please let us know if you can spare a couple of hours, any time between the afternoon of Friday 7 June and Sunday 9 June.  We need help;…Continue Reading “Lambeth Country Show 8 and 9 June – volunteers needed”

In the past I have sown crops too late to get the benefit of the longer August and September daylight hours. Then I read Charles Dowding’s “How to grow winter vegetables”. Modules It dawned on me that the key to succession is to sow winter crops in modules (seed trays divided into rows of individual cells) at an early date. Advantages If there is no space to direct sow, modules give your plants a month’s start when you plant them out. I first tried this…Continue Reading “Crop Succession: planning now for autumn & winter veg”

Monday 8 April: “Surprising what you find when you aren’t looking! The robin startled me when it flew out as I was rummaging for a pot but all seems fine and the parents are back on the nest,” reports an LHS member. Update Friday + 5 days: “Now we have three bald, blind hatchlings plus an egg which probably won’t hatch.” Update Monday + 8 days: “Still three blind chicks but now downy and demanding full time food service. The dead egg still in the nest….Continue Reading “Lambeth Robins – brief lives”

Our Annual General Meeting is on Wednesday 27 March starting at 7.30 pm at the Old Library. Please come along if you can to hear about the last 12 months and what we have planned for the reast of 2024. We want to hear your views and we would love more people to get involved. There are lots of ways you can help, depending on your interests and availability. Find out more on the night, which will include our legendary annual horticultural quiz, with fiendish…Continue Reading “AGM & Social 27 March”

Many thanks to all our members and friends for your interest and support over the past 12 months. We have had an exceptionally busy year. We have tested out several completely new events – our Hanging Baskets Workshops and our Christmas Wreath Workshop, for example. They have been very successful and we plan to make them regular items. We’ve become a registered charity. And we’ve continued to run our Trading Hut and monthly Talks, as well as our regular Newsletter. All this work is done…Continue Reading “Season’s Greetings!”